This tutorial will tell you how to install Johnny Castaway Screensaver!
Johnny Castaway is a screensaver which is brought by Sierra in 1992. It's a 16 bit screensaver (made for Windows 3(.1), which is really awesome.
Okay, for some of the people this might be nostalgia, for people like me. This tutorial works for Windows XP/Vista/7/8(.1) and 10.
- Download Screen Launcher and install it.
- Download DOSBox and install it.
- Download dosbox.zip and extract it to C:\ (you will get C:\dosbox)
- Start DOSBox for the first time and in the "Command Promt": type: "exit".
- Goto: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\DOSBox and open: "dosbox-0.74.conf" with Notepad or any other text editor you use.
- In this file edit:fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true
- At the bottom of this file (after [autoexec]) put:mount c c:\dosbox c: cd windows win runexit c:\windows\scrantic.exe /s exit
I assumed you extraced dosbox.zip to your C drive, if it is somewhere else just change the directory.
- Now goto your screensaver settings and choose "Screen Launcher"
- Click on "Settings"
- Click on "Browse" and select: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\dosbox.exe"
- Click on Preview, check if it works, if it works, you have done exactly everything right, and you should see the screensaver in like 5 seconds.
- Optional add sound.